Lenape Middle School Athletics
Announcements and Important Events
PIAA and NIL Rules
Name, Image and Likeness. Student Athletes may receive consideration for the use of their own name, image and likeness (NIL). Such permissible activities include:
· commercial endorsements,
· promotional activities,
· social media presence,
· product or service advertisements,
· unique digital items/assets.
NOTE: No school or anyone employed by or affiliated with a member school, including booster clubs, coaches, collectives, administrators and alumni, may solicit, arrange, negotiate or pay for a student athlete’s, other than their own child, use of their NIL and/or the provision of consideration to a student athlete for the use of their NIL.
Below is a list of parameters that have been established by the PIAA:
· Student athlete’s acceptance of consideration (both monetary and “in-kind,” which includes, but is not limited to, free or discounted equipment, clothing, or training sessions, etc.) may not be contingent on enrollment in or transfer to a particular PIAA school;
· When engaging in NIL appearances, social media posts, advertisements and the like, student athletes may not wear clothing or items referencing the: PIAA, PIAA District I, Suburban One League, Central Bucks School District or any District schools, student athlete’s team name, team nickname, team uniforms or related clothing, team or school logos, or terms which the student athlete’s team name is commonly referred to (for example, filming an NIL advertisement while wearing a sweatshirt that says “East,” “West,” or “South”);
· The student athlete may not make NIL promotions or endorsements during team/school activities;
· The student athlete may not wear apparel or display a logo, insignia or identifying mark of an NIL partner during school/team athletic activities unless it is part of the standard school uniform for that sport;
· The student athlete may not engage in any NIL activities involving, displaying or endorsing the following categories of products and services:
o Adult entertainment products and services;
o Alcohol products;
o Casinos and gambling, including sports betting, the lottery, and betting in connection with video games, on-line games and mobile devices;
o Tobacco and electronic smoking products and devices;
o Opioids and prescription pharmaceuticals;
o Controlled dangerous substances;
o Weapons, firearms and ammunition.
· The student athlete must provide a copy of any NIL agreement to their school’s athletic director within seventy-two (72) hours of signing so the terms can be reviewed for compliance. Read more: NIL Webinar Video and Support Materials - PIAA